What is spaying / neutering?
- Spaying (ovariohysterectomy) is the surgical removal of part of the female reproductive tract-the ovaries and uterus.
- Neutering (castration) usually refers to the surgical removal of both testicles of the male pet, although the term can actually refer to sterilization of either sex.
Why should I spay or neuter my pet ?
- Your pet will be much less likely to develop a number of serious health problems that can be life-threatening and expensive to treat, such as dystocia, uterine infections (pyometra), certain kinds of cancer, and disorders of the prostate.
- Spayed and neutered pets are less likely to escape and roam. Roaming pets are far more likely to fight with other animals or to experience traumatic injuries, such as being hit by a car.
- Reduces/Prevents urine marking in males
- Spaying female pets prevents them from coming into heat. Cats in heat will vocalize more. Dogs will leave bloodstains on carpets and furniture. Both may attract unwanted males to your home.
- Spayed or neutered pets are generally more even-tempered and less aggressive.
- Prevents unwanted pregnancy and pet overpopulation
When should I spay/neuter my pet?
- Most dogs and cats should be neutered at 6 months of age, prior to the first heat cycle in females.
- If a kitten must be declawed, we recommend that this be done with the spay/neuter, at 4 months of age.
Other considerations prior to and after surgery:
- Pets should be fasted prior to surgery. Do not feed your pet after 6-8pm the night before surgery.
- If your pet chews or licks excessively at the incision, we recommend you place a plastic, Elizabethan (lampshade) collar on your pet. These can be obtained at our hospital or most pet retail stores. If required, be sure your pet can access their food/water bowl while wearing the collar, which is usually necessary for 7 days.
- Pets that have been spayed or neutered require fewer calories than those that have not been “fixed”. Therefore you will need to make feeding adjustments in the months after surgery to prevent weight gain.